Total Pageviews

Wednesday 12 February 2014

Benefit - How to look the best at everything

Benefit is so hard to get hold of where I live, purely because there isn't a store in Hereford. There isn't a make up counter where I can test their products so I'd have to buy directly from their website or from QVC.

Benefit is quite an expensive brand so I buy from QVC where there are amazing bargains and special values.  I also regularly watch the beauty shows and this is where I discovered this kit.

The complexion kit grabbed my attention from the get go! I saw it as an opportunity to test the products as everything came in a handy mini form. This kit was also  £19.78 ( that's £5 cheaper on QVC compared to their websites price). The packaging for this is a book which opens up to show the products. This is so clever as it acts like a 'how to' book, kind of like a beauty bible. I've always been inlove with their packaging and how it ties in with the name of the product. It put a smile on my face when I opened it up.


It also came with a mini 'they're real' mascara which I was so excited about as this product has been raved about and I've heard it has amazing results!

When you open up the book you can see that everything is neatly placed out and also labelled so you know what order to use the products in. Benefit also understood that some of these products might not be known to everyone (like the primer for example) so they've included a 'tips and tricks' booklet telling you how to use them.

Step 1 is the Pore-fessional primer. I have seen nothing but good reviews about this so I was glad Benefit  chose this primer to be included in the kit. I understood this kit was mini forms but this primer was in such a tiny tube at 7.5ml, I could only see myself getting a few uses out of it.

However, from what little product I had, I was impressed. It smoothed over my face creating a great base for my foundation. The product is a light brownish colour and smells almost like an antibacterial formula (this is because the primer contains pore fighting ingredients). I felt the primer get to work on my skin as soon as I applied it! I felt a slight tingle which wasn't unpleasant at all. A tip from the booklet was to pat this primer over make up and blend if pores were visible throughout the day. I found this tip very useful and I would definitely purchase the full size.



Step 2 is the foundation. This mini is 1ml liquid foundation called 'Hello flawless oxygen wow' - with a title like that I had high expectations.  However, these expectations were not met. I found the foundation too orange for my skintone (even though I purchased the light option) it was also very runny and made a bid for freedom when I squirted a little to my hand. I also found this product split around the key areas on my face that needed covering (the nose and visible pores). I would not invest in this product again, very disappointed.  


Step 3 was the Boing concealer. The on air tutorial of this product was incredible. The makeup artist rubbed away the foundation on the models face and filled in the area with the concealer. The concealer looked so creamy and showed good coverage. I was very excited to use it. It comes in two shades which you can blend to your skin tone.  I also used the lighter shade to highlight areas on my face like the browbone. 

I applied this concealer to my problem areas with a concealer brush. I covered dark circles with a dabbing motion like the tip suggested. I found this concealer was creamy so it was easy to mix and create the right shade. Throughout the day, however,  I found creasing under the eye area but around the nose it stayed put. 


The final step was the powder. This is the only mini that you can't remove from the box. I also found this product to be too orange for my skintone and in the areas I applied it, my foundation caked. I didn't use the little brush it came with as I didn't feel like it distributed the product evenly across my face. I shall not be re-using this product as there are just too many faults with it. 



And lastly, the 'they're real' mascara. My favourite thing about this product is the wand. I prefer a plastic wand to a brush as it combs through your lashes. My personal preference is having long thin lashes with no clumps and this mascara is perfect. It gives volume like you've never seen! This wand also has little spikes on the tip to get the corner and underneath lashes. I was surprised by how much product there was in a mascara that size which is a bonus! It's my new favourite mascara, I love love love it!


I am still on the hunt for the perfect foundation/concealer combo. If you have any suggestions,  please comment. I'd love to give it a try. 


No comments:

Post a Comment